CEF Internships

When it comes to securing that all-important graduate job or PhD offer, itโ€™s no longer enough just to have a good degree. Relevant work experience via an internship is now just as important as exam results to your future career and is one of the key attributes sought by graduate employers. Our Internship programme offers you a great opportunity to gain real life research experience in our research centre with state of the art equipment. You’ll receive a comprehensive learning experience to apply knowledge acquired in the classroom to real-world situations, as well as gain the skills and experience that is necessary to prepare for a successful career in research. Donโ€™t just take our word for it below are two cases studies from this yearโ€™s interns.

Case study 1

I had not had any remote jobs before, so I did not really know what to expect. The application process was quite straightforward, and the interview was pleasant. The job proved to be well organized and my relationship with my supervisor and the team was great. I had to often ask questions, but my supervisor and the rest of the team were patient, very responsive and supportive all the time. This opportunity was very rewarding, I was part of a very knowledgeable team and got professional feedback and advice that will be useful in my future career. Iโ€™ve learned new technical skills complementary to my degree about state-of-the-art technologies in device characterization and new types of memory chips. Also, this internship was a chance to get a good taste of what research means, and to realize how rewarding it is in long term.

Case study 2

I learned a great deal about machine learning during this internship. I had never worked with it in the past so I had to start from the beginning, but with the support from my supervisors and being able to afford the time to learn about it, it was an excellent way to learn a bit about it and then use this newly acquired knowledge within the project. I also learned about ReRAM which is a technology I had not come across before this internship. Having an interest in the field in general, it was great fun to learn about a new technology. I got to gain an insight into how an academic research group operates. As I am interested in going into postgraduate research, I valued this experience highly as a way to see what work in academia is like outside of undergraduate work. Everyone was very friendly and accommodating and the work was very interesting. If anyone is interested in the work of the CEF and is considering research after graduating, I would recommend anyone to have an internship with CEF. Overall, this was a very enriching experience for my personal and professional development. I learned many new technical details with ReRAM and machine learning and had a valuable insight into academic research.